• Home


  • American Entropy is dedicated to the disruption and discrediting of neoconservative actions and the extreme ideals of the religious right.


    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Top Blogs

    My Zimbio



    Get Firefox!


    26 August 2005

    Supporting our troops

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button
    Wulf said in a comment from the post below...
    I am glad to see you saying that you support the troops despite your obvious dislike for Bush and his rhetoric... but I have to ask, why should taxes be raised? How does that help the will and resolve of the troops - what Myers said is most important?


    Most of the soldiers coming back that I have talked to had little to say about events at home, and most also question why they are there. But nearly all were upset at the level of personal protection they received given the level of advancement humanity has gained in the study of protecting the body from projectiles. That along with sending too few troops in the first place, I feel, led my friends and other soldiers I've met with, to believe that their government did this war on the cheep; I certainly believe that. This was reported earlier this year and posted by me here. Also, the long term cost of the war assuming a quick resolution and lasting peace (heh?) will shock most people, and are unsustainable at the current rate of growth of our increasing deficit (the whitewashed deficit or the actual and unreported deficit); read this from a few days ago. Here at home, planting a garden will not help the soldiers any more than putting a yellow ribbon sticker on you car would; on an SUV it is almost ironic. But giving them full support on the ground certainly helps their moral, and full support when they return helps the families suffering through this at home cope (I’m sure they are a large percentage they have with home). Keep in mind that this president and the Republicans cut taxes (on people who are extremely wealthy) for the first time ever in any industrialized nation during a time of war, and two wars at that! This has been done by our government; just imagine the signal it sends to soldiers who are placing sandbags on the floor of their HMMWV (Humvee) or their wives supporting the family alone at home.

    While I admit that org's like the USO, or writing a letter or taking a soldier on leave out for lunch does strengthen the "will and resolve" of troops more directly; I also maintain that putting a flag up, a ribbon on, or supporting your leader blindly has no affect on the mind of a soldier. This is "Patriotism lite" just like Charles Moskos, military sociologist, has said.

    Therefore, the main factor in keeping the moral of the troops high is monetarily and the only viable way to keep this necessary increase from causing our deficit to turn a new shade of red is to increase taxes. I will add, primarily on those in the highest echelons of wealth since they received the most recent tax breaks (one that was nearly fruitless when it comes to our economy). That said, I'm a realist and I know that a Republican controlled government would never allow this so I'll admit right here that I'd take the burden for them if I must. I’d do it happily.

    GDM-hfiend


    Google

    AddThis Feed Button

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online


    B l o g R o l l




    Archives